Sunday, December 4, 2011

Long Beach Museum of Art


I went to the LB Museum of Art this morning to see what they had. I was surprised at how small the establishment was and arrived early due to a misread on their website. The cafe opens at 8am the museum didn't open until 10am. Anyways all the Art they had on display was created via video projections or films that had been edited. I enjoyed the walk through a little more than my girlfriend who accompanied me. some of the items were a little to emotional for her but I thought it was very interesting. Almost all of the pieces there utilize editing of sounds and video. Some of them are set in a dark room where you only see the video or projection accompanied by whatever noise the artist rendered. It takes some time for your eyes to adjust, at first you cant even tell if anything else is even in the room. It was a fun experience and I managed to get a couple pictures.




First one was a video created by Nan Hoover in 1981 called Doors. It is two doors that seem to be mirrored and person wearing all black seems to walk back and forth through them. it is separated in the middle and makes you think how they open and close toward and away from each other.


The second one was interesting. It was created by Bjorn Melhus in 1998 and was called Again and Again. Basically it was a himself repeating many of the terms you hear on television over and over as it we have not heard them enough. I enjoyed watching it. It was set up on 8 monitors side by side. the video is run on a 6 min loop.


No comments:

Post a Comment